- During February, applications are entered into the enrollment system, then runs DPS runs the SchoolChoice matching algorithm. The process matches students to schools based on the preferences listed on the forms, as well as school admission priorities and available space. The SchoolChoice process is designed to maximize the number of students who are placed in their most-preferred school.
- In early March, DPS schools check the lottery results to make sure students are matched correctly.
- Letters and emails notifying families of their school placements are sent in mid-March. Families who submitted paper forms will receive letters; families who submitted forms online will receive emails.
The Round 2 segment of SchoolChoice follows Round 1 notifications in mid-March. Round 2 is the school-based segment of Choice for families who missed Round 1, who took part in Round 1 but want to re-explore their options, or who are new to DPS for next school year.
Click here for more information on Round 2.
DPS SchoolChoice: An overview
DPS believes all students should have the same access to quality schools, regardless of their background or where they live in Denver. That’s what SchoolChoice is all about.
Any DPS student who wants to attend a school other than their automatically assigned neighborhood school can take part in SchoolChoice. (To determine your neighborhood school, go to schoolfinder.dpsk12.org).
Families submit one SchoolChoice form per student, on which they rank their students’ top five school preferences. DPS then matches students to schools based on those preferences, as well as school admission priorities and available space. The next SchoolChoice season takes place Jan. 5 to 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2017 for the 2017-18 school year.
Here’s how it works:
- Research: Learn more about schools in which you might be interested. Use the Great Schools Enrollment Guides, SchoolMatch and tour individual schools.
- Prioritize: Be ready to fill out the SchoolChoice form by ranking your top five most-preferred schools in order.
- Complete: Fill out the entire SchoolChoice form, including ranking your top five schools, when it becomes available on Jan. 5, 2017. Online submission is recommended and is available through a DPS Parent Portal account. Paper forms will be available at all DPS schools and at DPS Enrollment Centers. Printable forms are available above.
- Submit: Turn in the signed and dated form by 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2017 online, at any school or the Choice offices. The DPS SchoolChoice system is designed to maximize the number of students who are placed in their most-preferred school. Letters and emails notifying families of their school placement will be sent in mid-March.
When you fill out the SchoolChoice form online, good things happen! It’s quicker and easier – no paper shuffle, and no delivering the form to a school or drop-off center. Plus, you’ll receive your student’s school assignment sooner. Make sure you have a Parent Portal account at myportal.dpsk12.org, and fill out the SchoolChoice form online beginning Jan. 5, 2017. The deadline to submit is 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2017.
All kindergarten through 12th-grade students are guaranteed a spot at their neighborhood boundary school. Students living within an enrollment zone are guaranteed a seat at one of the schools within the zone, not just at one particular school. To learn if you live in an enrollment zone, enter your address at schoolfinder.dpsk12.org.