Denver Public Schools is proud to have the strongest school choice system in the country, as well as some of the highest participation rates – and we’re always striving to make our system even better.
To continue meeting our families’ needs, we have moved the DPS SchoolChoice window from January to February. The 2018-19 school year choice window will be Feb. 1-28, 2018.
There were several reasons for moving the choice window, but they all stem from our Shared Core Value of Equity. We feel the new timing will allow us to better serve our families, including through the following:
• Families will have more time to research schools outside of busy times in the fall and around holiday breaks.
• A later deadline means more families will have finalized their living arrangements for the following school year.
• Schools will have more time to engage prospective families and share information about their programs and offerings.
• Other school districts who have shifted their choice windows to increase access have seen positive results.
With the new later window, the timelines of some of our important resources and events are expected to shift as well.
• DPS will hold a series of five regional school expos during the week of Jan. 22, 2018 (instead of one large districtwide expo). Click here for more information.
• SchoolChoice communications to families, including the release of the Enrollment Guides, will begin in late November.
Due to the new February window, school assignment results are expected to be sent to families in early April, and Round 2 of SchoolChoice will open in mid-April. (Round 2 is for families who did not take part in Round 1, or who did but want to revisit their school options.)
Continue to check this website for important updates and more information.
If you have more questions, please contact the Office of Choice and Enrollment Services at 720-423-3493 or email@example.com.