SchoolChoice is for any student who wants or needs to attend a new school for the following school year, particularly “transitioning” students, typically incoming kinder, sixth and ninth-grade students. All incoming preschool students, as well as incoming students who reside in an enrollment zone, must complete an application.
SchoolChoice is as easy as Find, Apply, Register!
Here’s how it works:
- FIND the best DPS school options for your student. Use the mobile-friendly School Finder, read the Enrollment Guide (mailed to transition-grade families in early December), and contact schools directly for more information.
- APPLY between 10 a.m. Jan. 14 and 4 p.m. Feb. 15, 2022 by ranking your preferred schools (up to 12) using the online SchoolChoice application. Create an account or sign in using your Parent Portal username and password. Access the application beginning at 10 a.m. Jan. 14.
- REGISTER with your school after you get your school placement results in late March 2022.
DPS Virtual School Expo Week
To help you research school options for your student for the 2022-23 school year, DPS will be holding five virtual school expos Jan. 18-20, 2022. You will be able to visit with school representatives from elementary, middle and high schools to find out which schools might be a good fit for your student. You can also learn more about the SchoolChoice process.
Here’s the schedule:
- Jan. 18, 6-8 p.m.: Far Northeast and Southwest schools
- Jan. 19, 6-8 p.m.: Near Northeast schools
- Jan. 20, 6-8 p.m.: Northwest and Southeast schools
To attend, click on a region below, then click on (or copy and paste into your browser) the Google Meet or Zoom links of the schools you’d like to visit during the date-and-time window. The events will operate as virtual school “open houses,” so pop in and out of as many school meetings as you’d like during the window.
- Far Northeast: 6-8 p.m. Jan. 18
- Southwest: 6-8 p.m. Jan. 18
- Near Northeast: 6-8 p.m. Jan. 19
- Northwest: 6-8 p.m. Jan. 20
- Southeast: 6-8 p.m. Jan. 20
More about SchoolChoice
DPS launched the one-application, one-deadline SchoolChoice process 10 years ago to ensure equity, consistency and simplicity in school enrollment. SchoolChoice is a key component of our vision that Every Child Succeeds!
We believe all families should have equitable access to the schools they feel are the best fit for their students. Any student who wants or needs to attend a new school next year can take part in SchoolChoice.
Families rank their students’ top school preferences in the SchoolChoice application. We then match students to schools based on those preferences, as well as school admission priorities and available space. The system, designed to maximize the number of students getting their most-preferred school, is very effective; last year, 89% of participants received their first-choice school.
Note: Incoming preschool students must participate in SchoolChoice on a yearly basis; due to space limitations, enrollment in a preschool program is not guaranteed. In most cases, if your student is currently in kindergarten through 11th grade and will be staying at their current school for 2022-23, you do not have to fill out a SchoolChoice application.
District transportation is subject to change/cancellation based on Transportation staffing challenges.
We’re here to help!
You can always get the latest information on the right here on this website. If you need additional help or have questions, start by contacting the SchoolChoice hotline at 720-423-3493, emailing email@example.com or contacting your child’s school.